Adventures as a Recent College Grad Living with Chronic Illness and Training a Service Dog

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Welcome to Texas- Here, have some RAIN

From the license plates to the oversized parking spots for trucks and everything having some sort of "Texas Edition", I would believe that I've moved to Texas. What has be confused- it has rained or thunder-stormed Every Single Day. 

But alas, we are here in East Texas! After our 20 hour journey from Northern Virginia to get here, we had strongly hoped for a smooth move-in process for our afternoon of unloading the very stuffed Rav4 and my Mazda. I went into the office at my apartment complex, and they didn't know I was coming... I signed my contract in April, and called to confirm 2 days before getting there. After 30 minutes, they assigned me a room- drove to the front of the building that my room was going to be in- no handicap parking. Are you freaking kidding me!?! Drive back up to the office, and after TWO HOURS of waiting, they came up with the idea to make one of the parking spots designated as a handicapped spot. But wait! the room they assigned me? It wasn't handicap accessible! Another half hour and we get the right room number, and all should be right. Oh but wait... it hadn't been cleaned for a new tenant; and the old one moved out in JANUARY. Dirty carpet, dirty bathroom, holes in the wall- oh my.

To wrap this part of the saga up quickly- I have the absolute best parents in the world. My mom cleaned almost the entire time she was here, and my dad (Mr. Handyman) installed another grab bar in the bathroom, changed the shower head, installed a storage cabinet, put up a curtain rod, put up towel bars, and installed lower closet organizers. Also, on Monday the maintenance man for the complex, Kirk (insert fantastic Gilmore Girls reference), came and fixed everything else, and has been really awesome since.

Work has been beyond awesome. I watched the US vs. Portugal game with my new co-workers the Sunday that I moved in, started work on Wednesday, went out that night for my birthday :), and then the whole department had a "field trip" to go watch the US vs. Germany game. I LOVE MY JOB!!!

Max has had a couple of rough days adjusting, but we're working through it. He's having trouble staying in his spot at work while I go across the room, so I have a feeling that some more Cheese Ritz-Bits (his favorite) are going to be coming to work to do some training. Around the apartment he's doing really great with now pulling open doors and shutting them! We've had some barking issues with the window in my bedroom now being at his height and he feels the need to tell me about every person who walks by- it's a lot busier than my place in Blacksburg, but that's just one more thing we're working on, and is getting better by the day.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment