Adventures as a Recent College Grad Living with Chronic Illness and Training a Service Dog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

A 24 Year Old Black Wolf

Yep, the title says it all. According to a few fine citizens of Nacogdoches, Texas- I am the owner of a 24 year old Black Wolf. If only you could hear the laughing and sarcasm that's accompanying these thoughts.


Let's start with 24. If you have seen my recent Facebook status, that starts to explain it.

My roommate's friend: "How old is he?! [Max] He's so big!!!" 
"Max is almost 4." 
"24? No wonder he's so big!"

Can we work out the fallacy in the logic of this.... (psst- Hi Ashley!) 
1. Dogs do NOT live to be 24. As much as we all really wish that they would be a part of our lives that long, it just isn't the case.
2. Dogs do NOT just keep on growing the longer they live. On what planet does Biology work like that? Max is big because he's a German Shepherd- it's genetics. If by some miracle a dog did live to be 24, they'd be roughly the same size they were when they became fully grown around 2 years old (depending on the breed).
3. Seriously?!?!?!!! 

So now that we've established that Max isn't 24 years old.... the next claim was that he's a Black Wolf. Admittedly, I do not know how I didn't laugh my ass off when I heard this.

It was about 2 weeks ago, my mom, dad, Max, and I were all at Walmart getting a few things for my apartment. Max was doing great with walking by people, ignoring food on the ground, and generally just doing his job. A little boy in a grocery cart then exclaimed as we passed by- "Mommy! Look! There's a wolf in the store!" If that wasn't enough, he then rather calmly and matter-of-factly stated, "See Mom, that is a wolf. It is a rare Black Wolf."

The giggles that consumed my mom and I were so very hard to keep concealed, but we did get a couple of aisles away before we lost it.

A friend asked me how on earth I deal with these situations- 
Just Keep Rolling ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment